I hope I’m not the only one who gets it set on how something in a room is to go, only to discover the studs don’t line up! Story of my life. I can’t tell you how often this happens to me whether it’s a heavy picture, mirror, or anything I want to hang on the wall that needs more support than sheetrock. Revyn wanted a chandelier in her room, so we found one at IKEA to go over her vanity. She had picked this vanity, mirror, and chair out at a vintage store over a year ago. True to our time frame, it’s been in storage until we redecorated her room.
Not the color we needed. So we mixed up some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to get the teal green color we wanted. Then we painted away, waxed, and distressed. It was too cold outside so I had to set up a makeshift paint area inside. Heck, I even sanded in here by holding the shop vac by my sanding block to suck all the dust in. It actually worked pretty well. Then I covered the seat with a coffee sack I had.Once it was all painted here was the problem we had. Things were not centering up.
The ceiling stud the chandelier hung from, and the stud the mirror was to hand from were off by way to much. We had to fix this because I couldn’t have the mirror off centered from the chandelier by 6 inches. So mounting it to that burlap covered board is what we came up with. If she wants to stick pictures on it with pins she can. However, she has so much space to hang stuff in here that she probably won’t ever use it. Here is how we accomplished a fix.
First we cut a piece of plywood as tall as the mirror, and wide enough to grab 2 studs. Then I used cork and cotton as the base on the plywood. I adhered everything with spray adhesive to hold it down.
Then I just covered it with burlap. I want to share this little tip on cutting burlap that I learned somewhere in blogland about 2 years ago. Pull a thread out of it where you want to cut, that way you have a straight line to cut on.
Cuts straight every time. This way you don’t have that uneven wavy burlap on your finished project. The last step was to adhere the mirror to the covered plywood, then G screwed it into the studs. I just covered the screws back up with the burlap so you can’t tell.
Looks great now with everything all centered up. So the next time things just aren’t centered in your world, there is always a fix. Just step back, look at it, and think of a little add on to make it work.